Tuesday, December 26, 2017

First Paragraph/Teaser Tuesday: Death Below Stairs by Jennifer Ashley

Every Tuesday Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea posts the first paragraph of a book she is reading or planning to read. She provides a linky for others to post theirs.

Here's mine:
London, March 1881

I had not been long at my post in Mount Street, Mayfair, when my employer's sister came to some calamity.
 
Link up here. It is very easy to play along:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers! Everyone loves Teaser Tuesday.
Here's mine:
I closed the door, resisting the urge to slam it -- my employer's rudeness wasn't the doors fault. In the reflection of its glass, I saw that the master's guest had turned from the window, every line of him taut with anger.
Both of these come from Death Below Stairs by Jennifer Ashley. I got this review book from Edelweiss. Here is the description from Amazon:
Victorian class lines are crossed when cook Kat Holloway is drawn into a murder that reaches all the way to the throne.
Highly sought-after young cook Kat Holloway takes a position in a Mayfair mansion and soon finds herself immersed in the odd household of Lord Rankin. Kat is unbothered by the family’s eccentricities as long as they stay away from her kitchen, but trouble finds its way below stairs when her young Irish assistant is murdered.

Intent on discovering who killed the helpless kitchen maid, Kat turns to the ever-capable Daniel McAdam, who is certainly much more than the charming delivery man he pretends to be. Along with the assistance of Lord Rankin’s unconventional sister-in-law and a mathematical genius, Kat and Daniel discover that the household murder was the barest tip of a plot rife with danger and treason—one that’s a threat to Queen Victoria herself.

6 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this one. I need to read more historical fiction. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a good one -- and way less scary than the book I highlighted today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good teaser! Sounds like a good book. Hope you're enjoying it. Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this one looks good. Hope you had a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sound of this one - below stairs in a noble household is always rife with gossip and tension:). I hope you are enjoying the holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sound of this one. I might have to start doing these Teaser Tuesdays again. They're fun.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!