Saturday, February 20, 2016

Book Review: The Trouble with Fate by Leigh Evans

The Trouble with Fate
Author: Leigh Evans
Publication: St. Martin's Paperbacks (December 24, 2012)

Description: My name is Hedi Peacock and I have a secret. I'm not human, and I have the pointy Fae ears and Were inner-bitch to prove it. As fairy tales go, my childhood was damn near perfect, all fur and magic until a werewolf killed my father and the Fae executed my mother. I've never forgiven either side. Especially Robson Trowbridge. He was a part-time werewolf, a full-time bastard, and the first and only boy I ever loved. That is, until he became the prime suspect in my father's death…

Today I'm a half-breed barista working at a fancy coffee house, living with my loopy Aunt Lou and a temperamental amulet named Merry, and wondering where in the world I'm going in life. A pretty normal existence, considering. But when a pack of Weres decides to kidnap my aunt and force me to steal another amulet, the only one who can help me is the last person I ever thought I'd turn to: Robson Trowbridge. And he's as annoyingly beautiful as I remember. That's the trouble with fate: Sometimes it barks. Other times it bites. And the rest of the time it just breaks your heart. Again…

My Thoughts: Hedi has been hiding since she was twelve years old and a werewolf killed her father and the fae murdered her fae mother. The fae took her twin to Merenwyn and left Hedi behind in a magical cupboard. She watched as her crush - Robson Trowbridge - came into the house and found her parents but left before he found her.

Since that day, she has been hiding with her mother's sister Lou believing that Lou was the only full fae left on earth and that the werewolves would kill both of them if they knew she had escaped the massacre. Her only friend is an amulet containing a fae being. She spends her days as a barista and part-time thief caring her her aunt who is fading.

Then her aunt is kidnapped by weres and to rescue her Hedi needs to find another amulet - an amulet she last saw around the throat of Trowbridge. She has to convince him to help her and deal with her crush at the same time.

The book was filled with intense moments both between Hedi and Bridge and when they were captured and tortured byt the weres. Hedi's ability to enter a world halfway between the human world and the fae world where souls are kept also added more intensity to the story.

And talk about a cliffhanger ending... Luckily, there are currently three more books in this series.

Favorite Quote:
I hate thinking. I hate remembering; memories are worse than dreams. With dreams, you can be on guard. Vigilant against a sappy moment. But memories are sneaky. They slide into your head when you aren't paying attention. You reach for a can of soup at the supermarket and you remember.
I bought this book in 2012. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!