Monday, August 17, 2015

Sunday Post/It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (August 17, 2015)

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news. A post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead.
It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey

It’s Monday!  What Are You Reading, is where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week.  It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.

Other Than Reading...

This was just another quiet reading week for me. The weather has been unseasonably hot for Duluth with 4 days in a row with temperatures over 90. I am really glad we have central air conditioning and that I don't have to go anywhere.

Read Last Week
I finished reading the Unbound trilogy this week.

Shadow Bound by Rachel Vincent had been on the TBR mountain since August 24, 2012. It was quite a dark story because the heroine had suffered so much abuse at the hands of her boss and was in quite a hopeless situation. It had a great romance. My review will be posted on October 3.

After finishing Shadow Bound, I had to read Oath Bound right away to see how everything played out. Oath Bound was a much lighter read primarily because of the relationship between the two main characters. I enjoyed this one too and was pleased with the way the series ended. My review will be posted on November 18 (my first unscheduled Wednesday.)
I finished The Hollows series this week by reading The Witch with No Name by Kim Harrison. I enjoyed this story and was satisfied with how the series ended. My review will be posted on October 8.

Currently
Glamour in Glass by Mary Robinette Kowal is the second book in her Glamourist Histories series. I really loved the first and look forward to finding out what happens next.

Next Week
Binding the Shadows by Jenn Bennett is the third book in the Arcadia Bell series. I had the first two on TBR mountain, read them this summer, and enjoyed them. I bought the next two for my Kindle.

Dead Ice by Laurell K. Hamilton is her most recent in the Anita Blake series. I have been putting this one off a bit because the blurb says there are zombies. I hate zombies! But I still want to catch up on Anita's adventures.
Play by Kylie Scott is the second book in her Stage Dive series. I've had it on the TBR mountain for over a year along with books three and four in the series.

Nine Lives by Wendy Corsi is a review book from Crooked Lane Books. I got this one at NetGalley. The book will be released on October 27.

Reviews Posted
Want to See What I Added to My Stack Last Week?

This week was mainly filled with new mysteries. All are for my Kindle and all were free or cheap.
The Gauguin Connection by Estelle Ryan is the first in a new series. What intrigued me was that the main character has high functioning autism. This was free for my Kindle.

Flesh and Blood by Patricia Cornwell was a Kindle Daily Deal. I couldn't pass up getting the 22nd Kay Scarpetta novel for $1.99 despite the fact that I am behind on reading this series and won't be ready for it for a while.
Mayhem in Christmas River by Meg Muldoon is a cozy mystery that was also free for my Kindle. It is the second book in the series and I haven't read the first.

The Detective's Dilemma by Karen McCullough was a Daphne DuMaurier Award Finalist. It was $.99 for my Kindle.
Just for variety, I added The End of All Things by John Scalzi in hardcover since it was cheaper than the Kindle edition. It is the next book in his Old Man's War series.

Back to Kindle cheap mysteries, I added Whiskey Sour by J. A. Konrath. This books begins a series.

I did add two books to my review stack.
Haunting Investigation (linked to NetGalley) by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro was a Read Now selection at NetGalley. It will be released on Dec. 31. I used to read Yarbro's vampire books but haven't read anything by her for years. This historical mystery sounds good. 

The Reluctant Duchess by Sharon Cullen sounded good when I was browsing NetGalley. This historical romance will be released from Loveswept on November 10.

To see what Young Adult books I have been reading and plan to read, check out Ms. Martin Teaches Media - my other blog.

2 comments:

  1. Nine lives looks really good to me. Had fun looking through your books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh nice! Glad to see you enjoyed Rachel Vincent's last series ending and Kim Harrison's too!

    Here's my Monday Wrapup

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!