Thursday, July 23, 2015

Book Review: Magic Lost, Trouble Found by Lisa Shearin

Magic Lost, Trouble Found
Author: Lisa Shearin
Series: Raine Benares, Book 1
Publication: Ace (May 29, 2007)

Description: A girl with attitude. An all-powerful amulet.
This could only mean trouble.


My name is Raine Benares. I’m a seeker. The people who hire me are usually happy when I find things. But some things are better left unfound…

Raine is a sorceress of moderate powers, from an extended family of smugglers and thieves. With a mix of street smarts and magic spells, she can usually take care of herself. But when her friend Quentin, a not-quite-reformed thief, steals an amulet from the home of a powerful necromancer, Raine finds herself wrapped up in more trouble than she cares for. She likes attention as much as the next girl, but having an army of militant goblins hunting her down is not her idea of a good time. The amulet they’re after holds limitless power, derived from an ancient, soul-stealing stone. And when Raine takes possession of the item, it takes possession of her.

Now her moderate powers are increasing beyond anything she could imagine—but is the resumé enhancement worth her soul?


My Thoughts: Raine Benares is not having a good day. While protecting a friend she gets captured by an amulet that won't let go and which is a beacon to a weapon that everyone wants. The weapon known as the Soul Stealer would help the goblin king keep power, or it would help the king's brother overthrow him, or it would give an evil goblin sorcerer power unimagined.

Luckily, Raine isn't in the fight alone. She has the support of her cousin Phaelen who is from the less law-abiding part of the family. She also has the help of her godfather who is a retired spellsinger. Then there's Mychael Eiliesor who is an Elven Paladin and Guardian. The Soul Stealer has been safe in their keeping for hundreds of years and he wants to return it to their keeping.

I enjoyed this story. Raine is a fascinating main character who would like to stay under the radar but who finds herself too much in the spotlight. I liked her loyalty to her friends especially the young spellsinger who she thinks of as her younger brother.

I can't wait to read more of Raine's adventures. Luckily, I have them all on my Kindle.

Favorite Quote:
"Soul-stealing rock, razor-fanged pixies, bloodsucking leaches," I hissed as I struggled to get my knife wedged under the thing's blindly seeking mouth and pry it off. "When this is over I'm going to treat myself to a screaming fit. I deserve it, and I'm going to have one."
I bought this one for my Kindle. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!