Saturday, March 7, 2015

Book Review: Trace of Magic by Diana Pharaoh Francis

Trace of Magic
Author: Diana Pharaoh Francis
Series: The Diamond City Magic Novels Book 1
Publication: Bell Bridge Books (August 29, 2014)

Description: Even the most powerful tracers can't track you if the magical trace you leave behind is too old. But I can track almost anything, even dead trace. That makes me a unicorn, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, and the Loch Ness Monster all rolled into one. In a word, I am unique. A very special snowflake. And if anyone ever finds out, I'll be dead or a slave to one of the Tyet criminal factions.

Riley Hollis has quietly traced kidnapped children and quietly tipped the cops to their whereabouts one too many times. Now she's on the radar of Detective Clay Price, a cop in the pocket of a powerful magic Tyet faction. When he blackmails her into doing a dangerous trace for him, Riley will have to break every rule that keeps her safe. Or become a Tyet pawn in a deadly, magical war.

My Thoughts: TRACE OF MAGIC was an entertaining new entry into the crowded urban fantasy genre. Riley Hollis is used to staying below the radar of most. She has an unusual talent that would draw attention from the wrong crowd if anyone knew about it. However, Detective Clay Price has noticed her and is forcing her to help him find a missing person. Riley especially wants to stay away from Price since he is both a member of the police force and an enforcer for the magical mafia who runs the city. But Price is also hot and she is attracted to him despite knowing this is a really, really bad idea.

When her almost brother-in-law disappears, Riley starts looking for him too. Clay offers his assistance but Riley had a lot of trouble trusting him. It turns out that Clay's case and Riley's case are part of one bigger case.

I enjoyed the magical world that was created in this story. I liked the plot. I liked Riley despite her unwillingness to trust. I liked the relationship that was growing between Clay and Riley.

Fans of urban fantasy will want to give this story a try. A sequel is coming out in April.

Favorite Quote:
Twenty-four hours ago Tyet-enforcer and Detective Clay Price had barely known who I was. Now he'd tabbed me and seen me naked. Could the day get any worse?

Famous last words. Of course it could.
I pulled this from my TBR mountain. You can buy your copy here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments. Let me know what you think.

This blog is now officially declared an Award Free zone! I do appreciate your kindness in thinking of me and I am humbled by your generosity.

Your comments are award enough for me. Comment away!